Thursday, November 4, 2010

Baldfaced Hornets



I have a lot of nature pictures that I intended to post but I have not been able to blog these past few months.  We have had weekly Private Eye sessions that I will get to posting soon, I hope.  I at least wanted to post these pictures and video of a giant baldfaced hornets' nest that was in a bush right outside our back door.

We were immediately impressed by the sheer size--a gray basketball in the bushes!  White and gray that seemed to once flow in currents now solidified.



One day we went outside and found it split open, pieces lying on the ground.  The hornets, though few, still came and went from it.  Inside, along the edges, were hexagon chambers with opaque amber filling erratically pulsing from something inside it. Other chambers contained thin white remnants with holes, while others still were empty completely.

I took a video of what was left.


1 comment:

  1. I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

    God Bless You :-)

    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete