Saturday, April 10, 2010

Loupes

You can't begin A Private Eye Nature study without a loupe.  I've done a little looking and it turns out that they are readily available from a variety of source.

Amazon.com offers the widest variety of loupes at the best prices I've seen.  You can get a set of 3 plastic loupes 3x, 5x, and 10x for under $3.  You can also get a set of 3, including a double, 10x, 10x+20x, and 30x, for just over $6.  Even a single 10x metal-cased, glass-lens loupe is $3 (it costs $5.60 at Home Training Tools.)  While I have not tried an illuminated loupe, I do have an illuminated hand microscope (pictured above) and it is very handy to observe object in low-light conditions.  You can get an illuminated loupe for only $5.

6 comments:

  1. Kris,
    You must have read my mind. I just got up from planning to come to the computer and see what you use for loupes. How funny that you just posted this.

    We have a couple of the metal loupes that fold into their case. My question for you is about the ones like the black ones you have pictured. Are those easier to use in terms of being able to put your item on a table and put the loupe over it and leave it there? I am thinking in terms of the kids doing their sketching. I would think it would be easier for the kids to sketch if the item stayed in one position. But, perhaps there really isn't enough light to do that anyway.

    Thanks,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. The plastic loupes are a little bigger in diameter but often my kids pick specimens that are too large to fit completely under it. And because it is 5x is has a focal length of about 2 inches, so you have to pick it up to focus it on the object. I guess it is part of learning observation skills, and getting them to slow down and look at the details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kris.

    You are right about slowing down!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visiting from Hands-On Carnival. This is a really neat idea! I know my son especially would love this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kris.

    May I know what the description of the illuminated hand microscope you use? Is it made by Carson or SE?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the Carson Micromax, which has a very powerful magnification. It's not as easy as a loupe to use when drawing, but it gives much greater detail. The light is very helpful, too.

    ReplyDelete